TARAPOTO AT A GLANCE:
Tarapoto is a city in the San Martín region of northern Peru, characterized by Amazonian cloud forest and abundant palm trees. It’s known for the many jungle waterfalls in its surrounding areas, including Ahuashiyacu, Huacamaíllo and Shapaja. Southeast of the city, the clear waters of Lindo Lake and the larger Sauce Lagoon (also called Blue Lagoon) are ringed by dense green forests teeming with birdlife.
- Flights arrive in the afternoon from Lima.
- Check-in to our hotel in central Tarapoto.
- Welcome dinner with the group.
- Participate in a community vision outreach in Tarapoto.
- See surgeries up-close and personal in our mobile vision clinic.
- In the afternoon, see the legendary waterfall Ahuashiyacu and animal sanctuary Centro Urkus to get some pictures with the local wildlife.
- See patients take off their bandages and see for the first time.
- Then sport your Kortni Jeane swimmers at the waterfall Carpishuyacu, climbing rustic ladders and floats to get there.
- Experience a visual health screening with the children of Lamas.
- The Lamista people still wear their local outfits and often dance for visitors!
- In the afternoon, enjoy learning about Lamista culture and exploring the surrounding area.
- Drive deeper into the Amazon to the southern region of Tarapoto.
- In the morning, see a glasses delivery in the village of Chazuta.
- In the afternoon, let the villagers teach you their ancient traditions of harvesting cacoa and firing pottery.
- Then, float down the Huallaga River in the traditional peque peque, or small canoe.
- In the evening, we will relocate hotels to stay the next two nights in the peaceful Pumarinri Lodge, located in the middle of the rainforest.
- Spend the morning hiking to the beautiful Pucayaquillo waterfall.
- In the afternoon, relax by the river at the beautiful Pumarinri Lodge.
- Farewell dinner at the Pumarinri Lodge.
- Flights leave Tarapoto for the United States mid-morning.